Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

I Go Deep: The Truth About Popularity

- you see one of your good friends and she squeals, giggles, and chats with you for over an hour
- the next day, you go up to her, expecting her to strike up a juicy conversation, but right when you say a casual hi, she walks away.... your cheeks turn BRIGHT red and you feel lame....
- you see her trying to be "COOL" or "POPULAR"............. and talking to a group of gossipy girls
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen many 7th graders that I know in my school trying to change their personality just to show people that they are "BAD" or sassy, cool, etc. When people I know try to be "popular", I feel bad :(
I don't feel bad that I lost a genuine friend; I feel bad that someone out there lost there personality, in other words, themselves. Popularity means to be a friendly, bubbly sweet girl/boy who has a lot of friends.. It does not mean to give in to peer pressure, and to suddenly drift apart from that girl with a "hidden" magnetic character.. When I say a "hidden" magnetic character, I mean a person who seems to be unfriendly and quiet by the looks. However, this person has a hidden bubbly personality... For now, popularity might seem like a good thing; I mean duh, you get to have so many friends, and it is also entertaining to hear gossipy rumors. However, later on your gossips won't be listened by anyone, and people won't like you for unnecessary wasting their time by spreading rumors. Imagine, how will anyone have to time to "find out" who likes who in high school? I mean, just be yourself .. because later on, your friends who will stick to you............. Like as you grow older and more mature, you will have fewer friends..... Elementary school: 30 friends, Middle school: 20 friends, High school: 10 friends, and College: 3 real friends :))) So what I am trying to say is that the true meaning of popularity is not how many "cool" friends you have; popularity is how friendly you are with your true friends, no matter how many friends you have.

In my opinion, I think that teens want to be popular so that they can feel wanted or accepted by their peers. However, (this may seem surprisingly), when you crave to feel wanted, you actually have low self-esteem. You constantly want attention, and you worry about your flaws....
On the other hand, when you absolutely fine with not having popularity, you feel wanted and accepted by only one person-yourself. This helps your individuality shine, and you also feel confident about yourself.

I personally feel that the opposite of popularity is individuality. I mean, it is so fun to be unique and have different interests. I mean having unique interests make you do different things, like fun diy projects (decorating a top), or web design. Imagine, when everyone in school has individuality (not popularity), there would be so many amazing things to discuss about! Everyone would have a unique voice and opinion that would be heard be so many people. Additionally, since there would be an environment of beautiful, unique people, no one would worry about being different.

Above all, being your genuine true self to yourself and your friendly, true friends is basically what defines you and you life........ life is meant to be lived with truth ............ "When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity." -Walt Disney





 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh yes this post is so true. I used to think that the more friends, the better, but now in 9th grade, I only have a handful and I feel so happy to have them all. 1 real friend is better than 10 random people you just know briefly.

    Lovely post! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! :) <3. your comment made my day.

      Delete

Link With In

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...